In my last post I told you how I am not a burger fan and to switch things up I decided to do a salmon burger, but some may not really consider that a burger. My fiancé as I mentioned before LOVES burgers and I wanted to try to make it a little different for him. Since we eat low-carb during the week, a burger without a bun feels so plain so I decided to do my own rendition of what I call my chorizo burger. I love chorizo, it has a light hint of spice and it goes perfectly with eggs for breakfast or in this case, on top of my burger.
I didn’t grow up eating chorizo or spicy foods, I really didn’t start eating Mexican infused dishes until I moved to California. My best friend is Mexican so after living with her in California, I had no choice but to fall in love with their food. Whenever I think or taste mexican food, I think about her and I am pretty sure that I would make her proud.
This dish was put together on a whim, I really didn’t have a plane but sometimes those are the best dishes we create. I looked in my fridge, grabbed what I had and decided I would add chorizo and queso blanco (white cheese) and a sunny side up egg to top it off. Why a sunny side up egg?
My fiancé loves eggs as much as he loves his burgers, so why not combine both into one delicious meal? If you love sunny side up, fried eggs or eggs in general, you don’t know what you are missing until you add an egg on top of a burger. When I first made this dish, I really didn’t think that we would love it so much. When I make my burgers at home I leave out the bun and I try to be inventive and different.
I recently made my chorizo burger for my best friend and she loved it. It makes me happy when people love something that I can create in my kitchen. I may not be a trained chef, but I am a home cook and I love to bring happiness to the people I love through their stomaches. I would definitely call this a winner.
My chorizo burger is easy to make. You can make just one burger if you are cooking for yourself or you can make a few burgers for a get together. Since it is a low-carb dish, you can decide how big you want to make this burger. It’s very filling since it has the chorizo, cheese and egg on top. You will be surprised at how filling it really is. Serve you chorizo burger with a nice cold coke or ice-tea. This dish is great all year round.
- 1 pound ground beef (80/20)
- 5 eggs
- Queso blanco
- 5 oz. chorizo de puerco (pork)
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon dry oregano
- Add one egg to your ground beef, and season with cayenne pepper, garlic salt, paprika, and dry oregano. Mix well with your hands and set aside.
- In a medium frying pan cook the chorizo on a medium-high heat. Cook for 5-8 minutes, breaking up like you would ground beef. Continue to mix so that it doesn’t burn. The internal temperature of the chorizo should be 160 degrees. Once the chorizo is cooked take a napkin and dab the chorizo so you can take most of the grease out of the pan. Chorizo is very oily so it’s good to do this or drain the grease in a colander. Set the chorizo aside once done.
- Cut 2 to 3 thin slices of the queso blanco before you start cooking your burgers. Set aside.
- In a large cast iron pan, drizzle a little olive oil in the pan. With a paper towel wipe and make sure it is evenly spread throughout the pan. Form your patties and place them on a medium-high heat. (My burgers are about ½ an inch thick, you can make them smaller or bigger, however, please note that the cooking time will change). Allow your burgers to sear on the first side for 3 to 4 minutes for a medium-rare, flip your burger and place a spoon full of chorizo and spread it on top of the burger. Add 2 to 3 thin slices of the queso blanco. If you have a lid for your pan, cover the pan so that the cheese can melt faster. If you do not have a lid to cover your pan, don’t worry, the cheese will still melt when you place your fried egg on top. Cook the burger for an additional 3 to 4 minutes and turn heat off.
- While the burger is finishing get a small frying pan and spray with non-stick spray. On a medium-high heat crack your egg into the pan and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. With my spatula I cut into the egg white just a little so that it seeps through and cooks evenly. If you like your eggs over easy you can lower the heat to medium and cover with a lid. Cook for about 2 to 3 minutes or until the consistency is the way you like it. You do not want to over cook your egg or the egg yolk will cook.
- Place your burgers on a plate and once each egg is done place the egg gently on top of the burger. Serve and Enjoy!
Medium – 4 to 5 minutes on each side
Well Done – 5 to 6 minutes on each side